Zhangjiagang is a city in Jiangsu province, with a population of around1,200,000. The communities that surround the city are mostly rural, and their economies traditional depended mostly on activities based on agriculture and water. Zhangjiagang is also known for being a very clean, quiet and orderly city.
Most of Zhangjiagang is accessible on foot, however, taxis are cheap. It is, although, difficult to get taxis during the period of 4.45PM to 5.15PM due to drivers having a shift change. There is also a city bus service, with ¥1 fare within the city centre. It is advisable to get the bus for short distances and if the routes are known.
It is also easy to visit other cities from Zhangjiagang. There are regular buses from Zhangjiagang to most nearby cities, such as Nanjing, Wuxi and Suzhou, with fares between ¥30 and 60. Zhangjiagang does not have a train service. However, it is easy to catch trains from Wuxi and Suzhou. Also, the city has no airport, being Shanghai Pudong Airport the closest one.
Zhangjiagang’s nightlife has been growing recently due to the fact that the country is moving away from the Bai Jiu (rice wine) culture, into a beer culture. There are many places to visit in, being the following some of them:
- Malone’s- This is an American style bar, where the staff speak decent English and there is music and pool.
- DeeGees- This bar is located in one of the parks in the city, and it serves a big variety of European beers.
- G2 club- This is one of the most popular clubs in town, where you can expect cheesy music and dancers.
- Local bars- There are plenty of local bars and these are great places to drink, dance, and play dice games.
SHOPPING IN ZHANGJIAGANG
Walking Street is the biggest shopping area in Zhangjiagang. It stretches for half a kilometre, and it includes department stores, a movie theatre, 85 degrees, a bakery with Western-style pastries and coffee, Subway Sandwich Shop, Telecom stores, and plenty restaurants.
The warmest months in Zhangjiagang are, usually, July and August with an average of 30 degrees, and the rainy season lasts from April until September, being this last one the wettest month. The coolest month is January with an average of 5 degrees and driest is December.
MUST SEES IN ZHANGJIAGANG
- Municipal park of Zhangjiagang- This is one of the main attractions of the city. It has a large playground in a traditional oriental design. It also features a large artificial lake.
• Zhangjiagang Shuangshan Island- This Island is known for its emerald plants and fresh air. It is an ideal place to relax, where you can observe birds and ducks. Shuangshan Island Holiday Resort is great for an interesting tour.
- Xiangshan Scenic Spot- It is known for its beauty and for its historical sites. It is home to Wangjiang Pavilion, where you can view the Yangtze River.