Foshan is located in the Northern part of the Pearl River, in Southern China. It’s a booming cosmopolitan city with a population of 4 million, half an hour from Guangzhou, and one of the few Chinese cities where foreigners are a relatively common sight. A lively, clean city famous as the home town of ceramic art, Cantonese opera, and martial arts. Check out our Current Jobs in Foshan!
It’s a lively, clean city, with plenty of McDonald’s, large Western style shopping centres, hypermarkets, nightclubs, and street bars – the Zumiao Commercial Street is a must-go place for shopping.
Attractions wise, Iandenghu Lake in the Nanhai district of Foshan is a scenic spot to hire a pedal car or bicycle, fish or have a picnic.
Going Out in Foshan
The city has a welcoming ex-pat community. There’s a multitude of cosy cafes, bars and restaurants for teachers to enjoy with new friends – boasting cuisines ranging from traditional Chinese, Vietnamese, and European cuisines to an Irish pub! Check out our Cost of Living Guide for Foshan.
Weather in Foshan
For those who love the heat it’s perfect – Foshan is very hot, dry, and humid with average temperature of 22 degrees and summer temperatures of over 30 degrees, with only 4 weeks of rain a year!
Must sees in Foshan
- Xiqiao Mountain National Forest Park – Xiqiao Mountain National Forest Park is an idealic place to get out and about and do some hiking, but be sure to take water! The park features a 77m statue of Buddha at the summit of a 40 million year old dormant volcano.
- The Sanshui Lotus World – The Sanshui Lotus World is well worth a visit as it is known for being the largest lotus ecological park in the world. It is home to over 300 species of lotuses.
- Ancestors’ Temple – The ancestors’ Temple is perhaps the most famous of tourist attractions in Foshan. Covering an impressive 3,500 square metres, the temple hosts some breathtaking architecture.
- Quinghui Garden – Quinghui Garden is located in Daliang Town, Shunde District of Foshan City and is one of four major gardens of Guangdong. With stunning landscaped gardens, cultural art and spectacular architecture is most definitely one to add to the list.
- Chuanlord Holiday Manor – Chuanlord Holiday Manor is a huge entertainment park that consists of five main theme parks; Screaming Paradise, Fairytale Animal Kingdom, Chuanlord Vacation Village, Farm Stay Park, and Water World.
There’s plenty to keep sports fans happy. Foshan Century Lotus stadium regularly holds regional and national football matches, and basketball courts can be found in almost every residential community in Foshan. There’s also many modern gyms, so there’ll be no excuse not to exercise.
Read our blog post A weekend in Hong Kong
Cost of living in Foshan
|Item||RMB/CNY||£ GBP||$ USD|
|Meal at Chinese Restaurant||23.50||2.74||3.41|
|Meal at a Higher Range or Western Restaurant||78.00||9.00||11.21|
|Draught Domestic Beer||5.00||0.58||0.73|
|Coke or Pepsi (0.33 litre bottle)||3.39||0.39||0.49|
|Water (0.33 litre bottle)||2.19||0.26||0.32|
|Milk (1 litre)||10.73||1.25||1.56|
|Loaf of Fresh Bread (500g)||12.28||1.43||1.78|
|White Rice (1kg)||6.36||0.74||0.92|
|Raw Chicken Breast (1 kg)||23.10||2.92||3.64|
|Local Transport (1 way ticket)||4.00||0.47||0.58|
|Taxi Metre Starting Price||13.00||1.51||1.89|
|Taxi Price for 1km||2.30||0.27||0.33|
|Monthly Utility Bills (electricity, heating, water, garbage)||330.42||38.47||47.98|
|Monthly High Speed Internet||105.57||12.00||15.85|
|Monthly Gym Membership||331.93||38.64||48.20|
|Cinema Ticket for Western Film||65.00||7.57||9.44|
|1 Bedroom Apartment Monthly Rent (City Centre)||1,800.00||200.00||368.61|
|1 Bedroom Apartment Monthly Rent (Outside City Centre)||1,650.00||187.57||240.18|
|3 Bedroom Apartment Monthly Rent (City Centre)||4,333.33||492.61||662.99|
|3 Bedroom Apartment Monthly Rent (Outside City Centre)||2,925.00||332.51||433.44|