ESL Content and Curriculum Developer, FuzhouMiddle School in Fuzhou
Salary: 14,000 – 22,000 RMB / Start Date: / Student Age: / Type of Job: Full Time
Reference n: OC2054
We’re seeking to fill the position of ESL Content and Curriculum Developer. This individual will work within our Education Department to create, improve, and develop ESL curriculum and content based on industry best practices and current company material.
This is a demanding role that requires a high level of skill in a broad range of competencies:
- Knowledgeable: As an ESL Content and Curriculum Developer we expect you to know and understand why certain things work in the classroom and what ‘good teaching practice’ looks like. At York we create a blend between ‘Western’ and ‘Chinese’ styles of teaching to make something original and – we think – more effective. A clear understanding and effort to improve as a teacher is essential. As are staying ahead of current trends, ideas, and methods used in the global ESL world with a view to adapting these fresh and original ideas with work at York.
- Interaction & Communication: You’ll be working with many different stakeholders; colleagues in the education department, TAs, Teachers, managers, and most importantly parents and their children. It’s important you adapt your style in different situations to benefit everyone you interact with at work – always offering support and solutions. Clear and timely communication, both written and oral is essential.
- Creative: Our goal is to create education that appeal to kids; to encourage learning and good results but at the same time embrace a sense of playfulness, imagination, and creativity so that students actually enjoy learning. We don’t want to be generic or teach like the school around the corner teaches – but remain independent and explore the possibilities of what we can do in the classroom. We’ll need you to create content that can turns heads, that adds a twist to an old idea, and that people like using.
- Motivated: As an ESL Content and Curriculum Developer you’ll need to be able to prioritize your time, have a desire to work efficiently with a ‘get things done’ attitude, as well as account for unforeseen challenges that might come your way. Crucially, you’ll also need to be able to take critical feedback and respond to it proactively and positively.
Duties & Responsibilities as an ESL Content and Curriculum Developer:
- Develop and create innovative and progressive resources and content: curriculum designs, lesson resources, digital content, training materials, based on the long and short term projects of the Education Department.
- Work closely with other departments to get a thorough understanding of the existing curriculum and our company’s needs and work proactively to fulfil them.
- Work independently on your own projects as well as those undertaken by other members of the school’s Education Department.
- Work with other departments when researching and designing educational materials so that the needs of students, parents, and teachers are well balanced.
- To assist in creating and running training workshops for our teachers, TA’s, and management staff. Offering support and training on best-practices when using course materials, as well as providing workshops and support in-branch to troubleshoot issues as and when they occur.
- Knowledge and experience of designing curriculum, lesson plan development, and content creation for young learners in the ESL market.
- Bachelor’s degree and TEFL / CELTA Certificate.
- A minimum of 3 years teaching and training experience with young learners.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Good knowledge of young learner educational theory.
- Quick learner with a track-record of working independently in a project-driven environment.
- Ability to meet deadlines and handle diverse tasks simultaneously using prioritization.
- Cultural sensitivity, awareness, and willingness to explore other cultures.
- An idea of how to design visually appealing content. Ability to use basic computer programs such as MS Office to a high level is essential. Knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud and programs such as InDesign and Photoshop is a plus.
- Ability to maintain educational principles while satisfying customers.
- In order to qualify for a working visa, the candidate should be a native English speaker and hold a passport from one of the following areas: UK, Ireland, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand.
Salary and Benefits:
- A monthly salary of 14,000 – 22,000 RMB based on qualifications and experience.
- Performance-based bonuses.
- Free Shared Housing or a housing allowance provided.
- Airfare Reimbursement.
- Working Visa and Medical Insurance.
- Free Chinese Lessons.
- Additional skills training provided.