In line with Chinese government requirements for issuing a work ‘z’ visa and Foreign Expert Permit, applicants should meet the following minimum requirements in order to secure a full-time, well paid teaching role:
- Be a native-level English speaker
- Have a passport from a native English speaking country: USA, UK, Canada, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand)
- Hold a bachelor’s degree, or be graduating in the next 12 months
- Have an English teaching qualification, such as TEFL/TESOL/CELTA (This can be completed subsequent to application. Note that some schools will pay for a ‘TEFL in China’ course)
- Have a passion and enthusiasm to teach and experience life within a very different culture
- Enjoy working with non-native English speakers
- Have good written and spoken English and excellent interpersonal skills, be able to work independently as well as part of a team, and be reliable and flexible.
Occasionally, roles are open to those who do not meet all of the above requirements on a case-by-case basis.
Please note: if you do not have an initial English teaching qualification we would welcome you to still apply. Once you have secured a teaching position you may need to complete an online TEFL/ TESOL certification before you leave for China, and for the school to apply for your work visa.
Opportunity China can offer a reduced rate TEFL course that is suitable for teaching English in China via our partner TEFL Express.